Friday 31 October 2014

Happy Halloween!!!!

This is not a miniature but it's the most "Halloween-ish" project I've made this year so I thought I'd share it.



A few weeks ago my friend showed me picture of a mask she thought would be perfect for a music festival she would be going to. It occurred to me that I had everything needed to make one for her, so I did.




I started with a store bought paper mache mask. Yes I did just happen to have one, two actually.



 Drilled a couple of holes for the elastic, doing it before painting prevents chipped paint.


 Black, white and a selection of fluro paints. The white pencils are meant for use on blackboards.


 This was my big mistake. I painted the whole mask black, I should have started by painting it white. You'll see why soon.


 Sketched on the beginnings of the pattern with the white charcoal pencil.
Then realised that I couldn't just paint flouro onto black and expect it to show.
Let's just put it down to a bimbo moment and move on.



 So at this point I had to paint a white base to each of the areas I wanted to be coloured.
3 coats of white and 5 coats of colour. If only I had started with a white base, grrr!!


I went out and bought the blue and purple paints because I didn't think it was going to be colourful enough without them. Bonus- now I have a full set of fluro paints.
I must have gotten all wrapped up in the project because this is the last in progress photo I have, the rest are the completed mask, sealed with several coats of clear gloss.









 If my "model" looks a bit odd it's because it my anatomical dummy.


He's a permanent feature by the front door. Every day is Halloween to me :)


 Under a black light.
 All of the white paint disappeared :( unfortunately I didn't have access to a black light until after all the painting was done.  This is why it would have been better to start with a white base and fill in the black bits. Never mind it turned out ok and my friend liked it.

  
 Happy Halloween every-one.

2 comments: