Sunday 11 May 2014

Here We Go Again....

It's been a week since I finished Samhain Sweets. I spent the first few days unable to concentrate on anything. I thought I would need time to wind down and get thoughts of lollies and cakes out of my mind before moving on to a new project but that wasn't the case. The moment I put the last item in place it was finished. I've read that for some people a house is never really finished but for me it was.

The problem was that my brain moved straight into the next build and wouldn't let me think about anything else. Probably didn't help that the next kit was in full view. It seemed that every time I passed it it would call out "Psst... Annejuli, open me... You know you want to." It was right.

Step 2

The Orchid.

So far I have the basic shell glued together. I haven't glued the roof on, just testing the fit.


I have cut out many new bricks.

And I've spent the last couple of days painting the bricks. I used at least 2 colours on each brick and simply blended them until the brick was covered. I didn't rinse the brush much and found I was getting a lot more shades than the original 4. Really simple but time consuming. I made sure to paint around the edges in case the grout doesn't cover everything, seeing raw egg carton edges would spoil the look.


These are the paints I used. Burnt Sienna,Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umber and Raw Umber. To begin with I had cream and flesh on the pallet as well but the results looked more like wood grain than brick.

While I was painting I spotted one brick that stood out. I tried to remove as much of the label from the egg carton as possible before I started cutting but some seem to be stuck down with the best adhesive ever made. I dropped this one brick as I was about to paint it and was surprised to see an almost perfect Australian flag! When I showed Christine she said it has to be used in the build. She's right, I think I can make it work.


The skinny paddle pop sticks, skirting boards and cornices I ordered have just arrived so I'm off to play with them.

Thanks for stopping by. :-)


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your big win, it was so well deserved. I look forward to your fantastic work on this. You are a wonderful artist!
    Hugs ~J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-You Jane. This is the first time I've won anything, I'm still pinching myself.

    ReplyDelete