Friday 14 March 2014

Back online.

I haven't been able to post any of my progress for awhile. Our internet provider has been having some issues and internet access has been a bit hit and miss for the last couple of weeks. Hopefully all is good again now.

I have still been working away and here's a little of what I've been up to.

I managed to get wallpaper up in both rooms. I had a lot of hair pulling moments while doing this. Finding the method that would work for me took hours! Searching online didn't help much because it seems every one has different ideas on the best way to get the job done. I live in Australia and there are exactly zero doll house stores near me. We have a grand total of one craft store and they don't carry doll house supplies (they are a 2 bus journey from my house) so many of the recommended products simply aren't an option for me. After much trial and error (at 3am) I decided to try glue stick. It worked! Of course hanging wall paper while sleep deprived resulted in a less than perfect finish at least it was on the wall! Actually most of it was in the bin but some made it to the wall.

I made some ceramic tiles for downstairs and I'm thrilled with how they turned out.


I took a sheet of cardboard and some acrylic paint mixed with gloss finish. Stippled  it in layers all over with a stiff brush until I was happy with the result. Then cut the whole thing into 2cm squares, glued them into place and gave them 2 coats of matte mod podge.


I painted the floor white before I started gluing in hopes that I wouldn't have to grout. I'm happy with the finish. I guess I got back some of the time I lost on the wallpaper saga.


I made some simple window frames and used some recycled plastic from packaging and now I have windows, yay!

I've started on bits and pieces to go inside but I'll leave that for another post.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment